Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Aunt Sylvia

Aunt Sylvia was a treasure. She was my Dad's sister whom I knew for her whole married life. When I was a teen-ager, I would visit her and Nat whenever I was having problems with growing up. They would put my head back on straight and send me home. The rest of my life they were beacons to guide me. Now that they are gone, I have to provide my own guideposts.

We would talk on the telephone several times a year, and she knew who I was, even when she did not remember who many people were. As I was her first nephew, she remembered things that I had forgotten. Once she mentioned them, I remembered. I am not suffering from Alzheimer's, but childhood was so long ago. A few hints do help.

Her children, David, Ned, and Sue, will remember her differently. To me, she was the one who would end our telephone conversations with "thanks a million" and "I love you, Allan." And I loved her. She has gone, but I will see her, somewhere, in the not-too-distant future.

Allan Golden

No comments:

Post a Comment