Oh, Sylvia! How remarkable that we knew each other for nearly fifty years, years that brought you and me so much; children, grandchildren, marriages, divorces, health and sickness. But one thing remained strong and rooted and unshakable, and that was your remarkable courage, honesty, and unconditional love. Could there ever have been a better ex-mother-in-law?
Your wisdom and humor guided me and so many others by your example. To be in your presence was to be safe and valued. We could talk about world affairs or recipes with equal fervor. Much has been written about you already, but above all you were the most authentic person I have ever met. Never once in all the years we knew each other did I witness a moment of insincerity. Never were your words empty or careless. How extraordinary this was! And how brave you were, Sylvia. I have seen you speak the truth when not easy. I have seen you risk your life by fending off an attack dog that dared to harm little Tony. I have seen you stand by family during the most difficult times, and I have seen you remain gracious and elegant in the midst of what most must face in old age. No matter how weary your body became or how hard it was to hear or see, you continued to be grateful for good cheer and simple kindnesses, graceful and beautiful, and always au courant with the times. I expect all who knew you noticed that economic inflation did not go unnoticed by you. Your usual “Thanks a million,” morphed into “Thanks a billion” in recent years. Thanks a billion, Sylvia, for showing me how a strong woman can live a life of love and joy and strength and absolute honesty. Your example guides me still. Thanks a billion!
With love forever,
Arline
No comments:
Post a Comment